It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 6:23 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: (D3 LA) Persistence in an Impermanent World
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:14 am 
Her eyes widen a bit at the growing array of things to worry about. "I did not even consider animals falling from trees...or mushrooms, I guess. I will definitely keep that in mind" She glances at the questionnaire sent her way and chuckles. "Your, ah...ambassadorial leanings are strong here, Asako-san. How'd you get into that line of work. If you don't mind the question?"

Carried: Wakizashi, holoslate, communicator,inhalator, sweets, writing materials

Description

"Remember what the Dormouse said" -Jefferson Airplane

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:36 am 
"The people of Shiro Yoake inspired me, putting me through the dojo here. I got noticed for working really hard, and having someone on staff who can research quickly helps."

He pauses a bit. "There is a lot of beauty here. And there's a lot of work to help out everyone here."

Equipment: Sensible Clothing w/pockets, Wakizashi, Densai, Communicator Holorecorder, Revitalizer, personal seal
"Way down deep, you ain't hiding the truth"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:08 am 
"I can imagine. I mean, most worlds are like that, particularly ones that still have only small settled areas, yeah? Do you know much about the Osprey settlement here? I can't imagine we'll take field trips for this miai, but I'm kind of curious how my kin there are doing."

Carried: Wakizashi, holoslate, communicator,inhalator, sweets, writing materials

Description

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:22 am 
He blinks a couple times in thought.

Equipment: Sensible Clothing w/pockets, Wakizashi, Densai, Communicator Holorecorder, Revitalizer, personal seal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:14 pm 
He's sorted through his memory, "Hai, Shiro Shiokaze is a bit of a trip. It's the home of the Asako's fishing fleet, and where your clan has its holdings. Those including an embassy, dojo, a few biopharma enterprises, warehouses, two habitation blocks, and 'Two Wings Cafe'; one of the inns of Shiokaze and a premier eatery of the city. The dojo does need a sensei from my last read report, and the biopharma enterprises pay for themselves and help insure your success on planet."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:31 pm 
"Huh, I think that must be more of us in one place than I've seen since training. I guess with all the interesting fungal things, biopharm is kind of a big deal." They probably did not produce the sorts of things she would be interested in, but it was nice to know they were there.

"Have you been there?" she asks, curious how much people actually traveled between the settlements.

Description

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:55 pm 
"A time or two. Sometimes research is better in person, and it's more practical skill wise to visit other locations; one of my first tasks after graduating was to do a circuit of courts on planet."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:44 am 
"So you've been all over the planet then? At least the settlements? Are they similar to this one? Like...culturally feel the same? Some places, different cities may as well be different worlds." Her hands join in the conversation, sweeping wide for the planet, weighing in with a 'this or that' sort of gesture later.

And, perhaps more immediately pertinent, given the current gathering. "Do you expect to stay here after the miai?"

Description

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:37 am 
"A number of the settlements, yes." He shrugs slightly. "Each is different. The others are newer, as we're in the capital here. Shiro Shiokaze is focused on the ocean trade. Shiro Tasogare is south of the Great Desert and very focused on farming. Shiro Samidare is focused on mining and industry. They can feel really different, though we share news within the clan."

He waves a hand. "We're the center of what culture is present here really, as the political center."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:28 am 
She quirks a smile at that, certain that the studious Asako undoubtedly missed the streetside differences in culture each would have. She doubted the clubs of Samidare had the same moves as the ones here.

"Pity we don't have time for field trips during the miai. It would be interesting to see what all the settlements have to offer. Though...I guess that doesn't really matter except for those who marry someone local and stay. And they'll have all the time they want to look around." She cocks her head with that same amused smile and repeats her previous question, unsure if it had gone unheard or ignored. But they _were_ in the temple of persistence.

"Are you hoping to remain local after the miai then, Asako-sama?"

Description

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:36 am 
"I mean. This is the home I know. Duties elsewhere might be nice...but I owe so many people here for my life." He looks to her. "You hoping to stay here? The local dojo needs a sensei, for instance."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:21 pm 
She shakes her head, blue hair swinging. "Hah! I've a few more years in the void before I'm fit to even try teaching. I can't Open the Way yet."

Head tilted like a bird listening for answers or prey, she asks, "Owe so many for your life? That...could be taken many ways. Is it that common to run into life-threatening trouble here?"

Description

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:24 pm 
He gestures towards one of the monks. "They killed one of the White Death, at the cost of some of their brothers and sisters. I spent hours under it's body, but lived because they fought."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:30 pm 
"White Death? I know it was in your list of dangers, but I really hadn't heard of that one before. What are they, and...I guess...where?" She's definitely curious. All the creatures of this world are something she wants to learn of.

Description

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:50 pm 
"They're rare. May be going extinct now." He pales a little. "It's..not something I like talking about. But they like to drop down from above, use their weight to suffocate their prey, as well as cyanide gas. There's enough, that a few die to them every year. I guess they're vaguely related to cephalopod's? Research isn't sure exactly how they managed to evolve as a terrestrial creature."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:41 am 
"oof. So...keep an eye out on things above, as well as on the ground. Good to know." She dips her head in an apologetic bow. "Sorry to bring up topics you don't want to talk about."

But she's going to continue the trend, possibly. "But...there's other ways to repay a debt than just sticking around so the folks you owe get to keep an eye on you for all time."

Description

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:46 am 
"Yeah. But leaving means I'm more likely to think of a way to do it myself, while forgetting to see what's actually needed."

He waves a hand out towards the rest of the city. "No one wants to be the one to offer the third water fountain in the garden, when you could've been the first to..I don't know, insure a broadcast tower reaches the next settlement."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:18 pm 
One hand comes to her lips, covering an almost laugh. "Asako-sama! That is not how it works." She shakes her head in amused disbelief. "There's debts that lay in trade, and some in contracts, but...do you repay someone's hospitality by searching out the thing they need most for...for their garden? Or do you maybe someday gift them a chawan that reminded you of that hospitality? I bet they already have one, maybe several. But it's still an appropriate gift."

"Or, maybe someday you host someone they care for, and happen to have just the right advice. There's a lot of ways for generosity to flow and branch"

Animated, she waves toward the sturdy statue of Kisada. "Did you _not_ just tell me a story of ridiculous set of events designed to answer a prayer?" It's really easy to forget that the shabby Osprey is a priestess most of the time, but now, the conviction of her station flares.

"When the gift is a life, you repay it by dedication to being the very best samurai you can be, because the heavens somehow have a plan for exactly the gifts you have within you." She shakes her head. "You do not hunker down and play it safe when you've already been granted one reprieve from fate already."

More gently. "Honestly...you should just ask them. I'll bet they tell you they were just the hands of the Fortunes in that moment, and they aren't the ones you owe...not so directly."

Description

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:27 pm 
A small grunt as her words hit home.

"Yeah."

He rubs the back of his head. "Yeah, I could do that." He rolls his neck a moment, then straightens. "Sometimes the obvious is the most invisible, isn't it?"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:22 pm 
She looks to the stone floor, scratching at the back of her neck, a bit bashful. "Ah...sorry. This is your place and all. You don't need a lecture from a half-trained Navigator."

"Just. I think about it a fair bit, hopping world to world and ship to ship, there's gifts and favors I'll never repay in person, probably." She offers a rueful smile. "Can I make it up to you with tea and some exploration from Otori-back sometime?"

Description

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next