It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 8:25 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: (D8, LE) A Study in Studying
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:06 am 
(The library is a public space, but expecting)

The heavy studying part of becoming a Navigator is not part of the early curriculum of the Osprey school, and Mumei is feeling her lack of sturdy academic studying skills as she returns to burn some late conelantern hours in the stacks. Tonight she leaves the information consoles behind to drift through the shelves in search of information that might be of use.

Carried: Wakizashi, holoslate, communicator,inhalator, sweets, writing materials

Description

"Remember what the Dormouse said" -Jefferson Airplane

Post subject: Re: (D8, LE) A Study in Studying
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:13 am 
She hadn't actually been down here before, so it took some doing, but at least today wasn't raining. Slipping around one of the stacks Ichika raised her free hand in a wave to grab Mumei's attention. A quick awkward look came over her expression after she'd opened her mouth, and then looked down as she passed through a lane. Stepping a bit closer she gave a wave this time, and then but a few steps more she was close enough to, "Good evening, Nakauchi-san," she said in a hushed library-tone.

Raising up her other hand she proudly displayed a white and light blue trimmed portable computer she was hefting, just in case. There were a few stickers here and there on it, ones that were worn a little.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:08 am 
"Doji-san!" Mumei called in a stage whisper. Though honestly the musty stacks soaked up sound. Her own footsteps had been feeling a bit unreal as they just vanished into the paper.

"ooo. That could be useful for looking things up. There's like...next to no organization I recognize here, so I've started just looking for the oldest things I can find and hoping there might be hints to other things." She sighs. It's not the most successful way to research.

Carried: Wakizashi, holoslate, communicator,inhalator, sweets, writing materials

Description

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:26 am 
"It'll be good for all these books and names.. I definitely don't know," she said, she laughed like it was a joke but there was a bit too much honesty in her voice. Glancing at all the many tomes she takes in a smell of the air, it was different. Old pages gave off that unique smell that was best described as the library scent. It was one she was going to want to remember from here too, if she could.

"Sooo," she looked to Mumei. "Nakauchi-san I-," she shook her head. "When Kuchiki Tsugiharu-san told me about all this I was a bit overwhelmed, I.. I still am," she said, a little softer than normal.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:13 pm 
Mumei nods "Yeah. It's really way beyond anything I thought I'd find at this miai..but that goes for a lot of things about this miai." Her chuckle whispers into parchment and fades. "I'd like to hope that passing things along to the authorities helped...but..." Her expression darkens to concern and she speaks more quietly, "the records he found indicated that a plenty of city authorities have belonged to the sect, so I don't know what to think."

Description

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:31 pm 
"Oh!" her voice popped in volume a little. "Then you spoke to the magistrate already? How did they take it? I wasn't so sure that the magistrate would have enough to go on, so I didn't.. well, go.. when Kuchiki Tsugiharu-san asked me. Though I told him that, spoke to Asako Chiruha-sama about it to see what I could learn a little, but," she waved her hand to dismiss that thought for the moment.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:36 am 
"Weeeel, no. I talked to Asako Chiruha-sama. She was going to pass things along to the magistrate, and possibly the governor, so I guess I'm trusting that. She seemed to...believe me at least, believe that it was worrisome enough to pass along." She frowns and glances around the stacks.

"But then Kuchiki-sama passed me what he'd learned about the sect. That they've had plenty of high-ranking officials as members. So I'm a little worried about how far the message will go or what will be done with it when I don't know who might or might not be a member."

Description

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:41 am 
"I've spoken with Asako Chiriuha-sama about it too, not about passing it along though. Spoke to her also about some other things prior," she said with a small smile. "I trust her," she added with a confident little nod.

"Do you think they might be dangerous, Nakauchi-san?" she asked, half-way turned to look toward one of the nearby books but looked back as she said her name.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:54 am 
"Well, what they are doing is definitely dangerous. Will they try to harm us? Guests? I don't know. I...left names other than my own out of the report I gave to Asako-sama, just in case. If you haven't, you might, well...make sure your bushi are aware, in case they need to make a diplomatic incident out of things, neh?" When Ichika looks back at her, her dark eyes show her concern. "Good of you to take it to Asako-sama. They're way more likely to listen to you than to some minor clan folks and a Spider. But I'm sorry you're maybe a target if they're holovid style conspiracy villains"

"So...I'm trying to find some research that might tell me if it's possible to repurpose something like a NavCom to redirect other energies than water. Not that I _have_ a NavCom. But...well we didn't always have them, so maybe I can hack something together to mess with what's coming even if the authorities do nothing. Can't fly out to the Osprey settlement for their records, but the Phoenix have got to have something... Some old Isawa's piles of old papers donated when they retired?" She plays the borrowed conelantern across the stacks. "I guess, look for paper that seems academic?"

_________
D8 LE in the library Spellcraft/Int TN 20?: 4d10o10k2 26
http://asakaze.fallenash.com/viewtopic.php?p=21406#p21406
getting roll in so I don't miss the flip.

Description

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:50 am 
"Well.. let's just hope they're not, hmm?" she said with a little smile, but looked almost immediately away toward some of the nearby books. Leaning down she lowered herself onto her knees, letting her rest the computer a moment, and scanned a little through some of the books on the bottom.

"While we're looking, is there anything else you might think is useful?" she asked, glancing up toward Mumei over her shoulder. Sheltering her eye a little from the light just in case with her right hand. "Maybe like.. a history of Asakaze's greatest villains?" she said, grinning brightly. With a small chuckle, "Or.. or just something like, who we might be dealing with? Who's the leader of the shrine again?"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:33 pm 
She laughs. "They've only been here for less than a century, I really hope they don't have a whole book on greatest villains yet!" She tugs at a sheaf of papers that has that 'taken from a professor's desk, shoved into a box for a few years and donated to the library when he died/retired' look about it.

Looking up from the dusty dissertation she blinks, "Oh! I don't even know for sure. We only met one of the miko when we were up there." She nods. "That might not be bad to know."

Description

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:18 pm 
With a bright, happy little smile at hearing the laugh she continues dragging a finger along one of the shelves. As a little personal indicator of where she was, so that she didn't accidentally lose her spot. Slipping one out that looks a little more formal, she looks at the front before pushing it back in.

"That would be telling though, yea?" she glanced back, that smile half-returning. "I'll try to find something on that too!" she says, and then hums happily as she continues looking through the assorted material.

LE 8 | Investigation [Int] Library, Void +1k1 vs TN 20: 4d10 21

[PF for above roll information/clarifications.]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:47 am 
Flipping through the papers, she holds them a bit away as dust fans out. "phew, nobody's looked at this since it was donated, I bet." She holds it by the binding and gives it a shake, letting the dust fall away before trying to actually read it.

"I mean, I'd worry about the governor being a member, but rumors paint him as being just as...well, the opposite of nature-loving. He'd be a very odd fit."

Description

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:57 am 
"I have personal experience to say that the rumors are.. well, rumors, but they happen to also be right," she said with a little laugh that brought up a cough. Getting her fist up fast to block it a little. Waving her hand in front of her face as her eye teared a little.

"It's actually his daughter, Asako Chiruha-sama," she said, a quick flash back to an earlier conversation. Frowning a little in thought but shaking her head. "I spoke with her a few times actually! She's really sweet, but she actually wishes a lot more for a balance to be found here, yea? Which.." she stopped herself but, with a little head shake spoke softly, "honestly, I like that approach more."

Standing she found a nearby table kind of thing that held a recently retrieved book someone else pulled out and didn't put back. Poking through it she started glancing through the pages.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:03 am 
"Balance is good. Like, I was out by the river, and that sluggish, decaying mess doesn't seem right, even if there's things here that can live in that mess. The spirits are happier and everything tends to be more successful with things in balance." She shakes her head. "Things are out of whack here."

She tucks the pages back with a sigh. "I keep hoping there's something in here that will tell me something I don't already know. Eyes closed, she runs her fingers slowly across the shelf, looking for some kind of intuition of what to pull.

Description

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:14 am 
"Here.." she said, pulling the book she had up into her hands she found a spot that seemed good enough to sit on. Finding nothing appropriate, she sat on one of those little foot-stools that people usually use to get up to some of the higher shelves.

Ichika started, reading word for word, "Now, we find Asako Saneyuki rising to keeper for the Shrine to Mori no Reiou and with it becoming the head of the Shinri Sect as so many others have done before. Young enough that he is yet unmarried like many we have seen before there is little that we personally know about him, other than some rather fleeting details. What we know of his temperament is that he behaves alike those-" she stopped reading directly, instead scowling at the book a little. "I don't like this author," Ichika said, but shook her head and continued. "With this high opinion of himself and handsome demeanor we should expect pride in whatever he might accomplish in his tenure"

Looking at the book again she flipped the page but the other side was blank. Shifting back through some of the other pages she discovered far longer entries of other individuals. "Looks like this books.. recent.. ish?" she said, raising it up a little then setting it down. "Well.. we kinda know who we're dealing with.. or, you're dealing with, or you guys-" she cut herself off with a wave of the hand. "We know who the leader is.. sorta," she sighed.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:29 am 
"Sounds like an Isawa wrote it, honestly. But yeah...that's useful to know. I wonder if just, you know...getting him distracted or drunk tomorrow wouldn't do the trick." She sighs, pushing her own stack of papers back into the stacks. "Well, I'm mostly finding that yeah, pretending to be a NavCom requires a bunch of people, but no idea if anyone has experimented with the technique much for things outside of Navigation or the element of water."

With a short laugh, she pushes her hair from her face. "I guess I shouldn't expect the Phoenix to make it easy to figure out how to counter their nonsense in their own library,"

Description

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:33 am 
"Not without some kind of.. secret library," she said that, with that air of mystery they put in the goofy cartoons and serials. Covering a small laugh she looked up to Mumei with a smile, "Well.. yea, I don't think this is the kind of guy to go out on the town for a night. Thooough," she shook her head, "I dunno! Maybe there is something else he might like doing, might let something slip yea?" she shrugged. "Needs to get married so.. it opens some doors I guess," she glanced back at the book.

Pushing herself up onto her feet she returned the book not just to where she found it but where it was supposed to be and slid it back among all the others.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:15 am 
Mumei laughs a bit. "But seriously, they probably do have a secret library." She considers. "If we had more time there's a lot we could probably learn from him with a bit of care....I guess I should have started this kind of research sooner."

"Well," She stretches. "I'm just going to need to work with what I've got and try not to regret what could have been."

Description

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:10 am 
"That's the best we can do sometimes, yea?" she said, smiling as she spun about to face Mumei again. Stepping once closer, "Hey," she said, her voice a little soft. "I- I don't really know what I'm doing," she glanced down, away. "Not sure how I can help, but.. after speaking with Kuchiki Tsugiharu-san this morning and some others in the past while I don't really know how I can.."

"Maybe if I spoke with the leader but.." she shook her head, "I'm not sure. Like you said, it's probably too late for it, yea? So, anyway.." she pushed her hands down together by her lap, fiddled with her index finger. "If there is anything you might find you need a Doji's help with.. call, yea?" she asked, looking up to Mumei with a soft and uncertain smile.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next