It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 4:47 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: [D8:EA] My little Robot
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:09 pm 
Back in his casual wear and welding apron, Nishida set about checking his little bot a bit, fixing some quirks and correcting the ghastly paintjob.

To no one's surprise, a rather classic piece of music was playing on his Densai, even if it contained modern elements.

In the meantime Y4SUK1-bot was beeping from time to time when he rearranged some of the cables or sanded a metal plate.

Akechi leaned against a wall and kept one eye open on his master, a small worry wrinkle formed on his forehead. Usually his master did not distract himself so often with other things.

---
So what options are there for Bot Advancement? :)

Accompanied by: Akechi - Bodyguard
Pet: Mochi - Shiba Inu

Post subject: Re: [D8:EA] My little Robot
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:54 am 
Even though the hype revolving the robotics rally was over, Chiruha's interest in drone still brought her to the designated shed given to the Robotics Club just outside of the dojo. She was meandered in and was surprised to see Nishida once more, just hanging out around the dojo too!

She gave a blink at first before bowing deeply to greet him, "Oh, good afternoon, Yasuki-sama. My congratulations on your performance in the Robotics Rally! Sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to you afterwards. They had me stuck doing clean up and organization but I'm sure a lot of our members would like to meet you!"

(More about that later!)

Run by GM Boogiepop / Art by Joanne Kwan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:50 am 
He looked up. "Ahh, Asako-san, how are you doing?" he gave her a small bow. "Thank you, i promised you to take part, haven't I? Altough i thought Tetsu-san would take the win, after all he made these fantastic modules."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:57 am 
"I suppose Kaiu-san might have a leg up when it comes to working with the drone parts but we aren't allowed to dilvuge the details of the rally to non-members, especially when the community is interested in it enough to tie it to the miai," she nodded.

"However, you did show up and take part!" she exclaimed with a growing smile, "and you really blew everyone away! That was very good work, Yasuki-sama! I didn't know you were an expert all of this time."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:37 pm 
"I hold back such things for a surprise," he also said with a smile. "It means a lot to me that the compliment comes from you."

He took a wrench and loosend a plate on the Y4SUK1-Bot. "Could you lend me a hand? I want to better ground the motherboard and attach a shield to it to reduce interference from the other electronic systems. I would also like to revise the cooling systems, which is important on hot planets like Asakaze."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:24 pm 
Chiruha placed a hand on her chin, "I almost recall you were a bit reluctant at the time when I suggested that you should take part. So you were just being humble, then?"

She approached to get a better look. "It might be easier to fine tune existing functions or program new capabilities but when it comes to upgrades the 10-86's are pretty short on brackets as they are meant to be an entry level chassis. If you're willing to spare some koku, you could get a 30-86 which should have enough brackets for what you're asking for. Of course, you'll then have to dismantle the parts you have and transfer them to the new body."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:41 pm 
"You were not the only one who was surprised by my performance, Asako-san, he said with a chuckle, I have basic knowledge in engineering, after all I need it for my duty, but it seems I have some hidden talent"

He looked at the frame considering it. "How much Koku are we talking?"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:42 am 
"Or maybe you're just a good drone handler. Sometimes it takes a bit of luck and sometimes the circuits are on your side. They say that sometimes the circuits themselves can become awakened with potent kami to make them something of legend, even in modern day. I don't know if that is actually the case..." she chuckled as she glanced at the drone, "but take that as you will."

"If you beg Kishi-sama up and down, he might be able to get one for you but I think you should be able to find one at Daisuke's Drones. Last I saw, a 20-86 will set you back one koku and a 30-86 will be four koku. Then you'll have to do the painstaking chore of transfering everything over. The brackets and slots will be familiar at least."

_____

A 20-86 will have two upgrade slots while at 30-86 will have three upgrade slots. To transfer everything from an existing drone to another chassis will require a culmulative check of Engineering/Intelligence or Engineering/Agility at TN60.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:28 am 
Nishida thought about it. "I'll probably check the store tomorrow, maybe I can get a good price," he said with a grin. "Then I'll probably spend more time programming and polishing."

He turned back to his personal computer, next to which was a cup of tea. He took a sip of tea and presented Chiruah with the code he had written for the event. "I think the terrain detection needs to be improved, if I see it right I have built a loop somewhere that could lead to a stack overflow. Furthermore, may I make you a proposal?"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:46 pm 
"Oh, okay," she said with hint of bemusement at the mention of price, the concept of bartering and discounts were vague to her. "If you do see a 30-86, I'd recommend get it as soon as possible. Often they get scoped up whenever we get a shipment!"

"Polishing is easy to do and you have all of the tools you need here. Actually, we do spend a great amount of time polishing our drones or starting all over whenever mishaps happen. It's all part of the hobby. I can lend a help now if you wish." she gestured to the space around them and then went further into detail what can be done with a custom drone...

Boogiepop wrote:
Improving a drone!

Drone enthusiasts are known to spend a great deal of time on their custom drone. While inferior to most models found in military use by the Great Clans, drone enthusiast have accepted that their creation is custom built by them and every improvement is tailor-made to their needs. With enough work, a drone might even excel beyond those in common circulation. However, this requires a great amount of commitment and sometimes working on a single custom drone might even take years before it reaches its intended form and use.

From here on out, drones are improved with the XP system.

To raise its machine XP for raising traits, the drone enthusiast must roll Engineering/Intelligence to a cumulative TN of 90 for 1 XP.
To raise its programming XP for raising skills, the drone enthusiast must roll Computer (Programming)/Intelligence to a cumulative TN of 90 for 1 XP.

Drones are limited to one upgrade still, unless the body/chassis is upgraded by buying an improved frame.

A 20-86 chassis will have two upgrade slots and cost 1 koku. A 30-86 will have three upgrade slots and cost 2 koku. To transfer everything from an existing drone to another chassis will require a cumulative check of Engineering/Intelligence or Engineering/Agility at TN60.

To install/swap upgrades (that already exist) will require a cumulative check of Engineering/Intelligence or Engineering/Agility at TN60.

After that was done, she asked, "What proposal do you have in mind?"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:53 pm 
"If you like, I could use help with a wayfinding system. My bot was driving over the obstacle course rather than around it." he said offering the place next to him and his pc.

"And for my suggestion: what would you think if I could call you Chiruah-san and you could call me Nishida-san?" For most other samurai this usually seemed to be no problem here, but for Nishida it was something bigger. He stayed as formal as possible with most of them, just to avoid getting too attached to anyone. But he wanted to try to trust Chiruah, and if she would become his wife, he would have to start doing so, right?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:33 am 
"Were you thinking of perhaps upgrading his skill programming? I think that's often the quick fix when it comes to something that doesn't require too much physical work. Maybe you could consider more mobility fine-tuning in the near future but that might do the trick!" She nodded.

Brushing some hair from her forehead, she nodded at the request with a smile. "Of, of course. Nishida-sama. I guess there were a lot of things I was caught up on without even thinking about some as small as that. You call me Chiruha-san, obviously!"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:11 am 
He nodded with a smile: "Then let's get to programming, Chiruha-san. Let's do it the four eyes principle, I write the code and you check it for errors?"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:06 am 
"Sure! I'd be happy to and that's probably for the better! It's more efficient than the 20-fingered principle...if there is such a thing. I can tell you that multiple people working on the same code often doesn't end well. We've been working so long at this efficiency module for the rally and it hasn't exactly panned out well," she gave a slightly defeated shrug but she was still in good spirits.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:25 am 
"This is where the big gap lies between the development team and userbase." he said with a chukle. "But now you can incorporate what modules the participants have picked and use this data for upcoming events."

--
uhm as this D8 i think i can't roll for programmin anymore?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:54 am 
(I'll allow this roll with GM ruling, sorry for the pacing! Nishida can get +2 with Chiruha's assistance.)

"There's always next rally season!" she chuckled, "it might be some time away but eventually we'll be wondering why we didn't get more time with our projects. It's a bit of a constant cycle but we're glad to be running these competitions as an excuse to better our craft and discover new things. It seems this error correction module was really popular!"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:39 pm 
Nishida started to extend the existing code of his bot. He tried to focus entirely on the process of programming while waiting for input from Chiruha.

---
[D8:EA] GM Apporved! Use Computer(Programming)/Intelligence Cumulative TN90; +1k1VP: 5d10o10k4+2 28

(28/90) Toward Skill XP

---

He was, in fact, just a amateur. Chiruha would notice several syntax errors in the code and maybe that Nishida was a little nervous.

It was rare for anyone to look over his shoulder while he was working,... in addition, the Chiruha would watch him.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:52 am 
There wasn't a lot of space in the Robotics Club shed and Chiruha did stand closely to Nishida, watching him code over his shoulder. He was likely used to better and newer terminals at the Green Carp but there was some charm in simplicity with the computers available here. At the end of the process and coding session, she rolled her chair back and nodded in approval.

"That's pretty good progress, Nishida! They say that the Yasuki are known well for their computer work and I guess I should have expected your keen skills on the matter," she smiled sheepishly, "Sorry! Didn't mean to be so nitpicky a few times. I'm pretty sure some of the younger members here find my constant advice a bit annoying sometimes!"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:07 pm 
After he finished programming, Nishida pushed his chair away from the console and stretched in his chair. "It's been a while since I've been programming on a project for so long, but thanks for helping Chiruha-san. Maybe one day I should spend a little more time programming again instead of just analyzing markets".

"Annoying? Didn't Shinsei once say, "Only when you're in your grave there' s nothing more to learn"?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:33 pm 
"Right, right! But I'm sure they already get their share of learning when they are at the dojo. This space is really meant for doing whatever you want as a hobby. I don't think there's much use for a walking can-opener or a foldable chair on treads but that's some of the projects you'll find around here when there isn't a Rally going on."

She chuckled and gestured to a box filled with junk and appliances. "And repairing various things like Orihime-san's hair straightener. I guess they don't need someone else pestering them. But! I'm sure you'd have a thousand things to say if you saw how we were budging Fan-Con."

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next