It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 10:50 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: [Day 2 MN] Sleep Is For The Weak (Expecting)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:45 am 
The darkness of the inn's common room was illuminated only by the screen of a densai, resting on the lap of a samurai in the far corner. Shoan was curled up on a battered couch in her pajamas, which seemed to be legion issue sweatpants and a singlet with 'my bushido is up here' and then an arrow to her soul.

The rather cheap looking blanket around her shoulders and the (thankfully) empty bucket by her side spoke of the long evening she'd had. Even more so the fact that the Lion kept dozing off for a few moments, snoring loudly before jerking awake and returning to her read.

Profile art credit: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/k4nea2

Post subject: Re: [Day 2 MN] Sleep Is For The Weak (Expecting)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:04 am 
Hakka stepped out of her shared room, still something that she was getting used to, with her densai in hand and a set of over the ear headphones around her neck, closing the door quietly behind her. She was dressed simply for bed, wearing an overlarge t-shirt that hung off one shoulder and a set of capri leggings. Her face was clean, no trace of makeup to be seen, and her white hair was pulled to the side, in a long four-strand braid.

She moved further into the shared common room, but paused, recognizing Shoan on one of the couches. She raised her hand to hide a smile as she watched the cycle of sleep, snore, and awake, before she delicately cleared her throat, to let the other know that she was not alone.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:08 am 
Doji Hakka wrote:
Hakka stepped out of her shared room, still something that she was getting used to, with her densai in hand and a set of over the ear headphones around her neck, closing the door quietly behind her. She was dressed simply for bed, wearing an overlarge t-shirt that hung off one shoulder and a set of capri leggings. Her face was clean, no trace of makeup to be seen, and her white hair was pulled to the side, in a long four-strand braid.

She moved further into the shared common room, but paused, recognizing Shoan on one of the couches. She raised her hand to hide a smile as she watched the cycle of sleep, snore, and awake, before she delicately cleared her throat, to let the other know that she was not alone.

"Huwah?!?!" Shoan's hand goes to where her pistol normally sits and she ends up brandishing a small lion plushie at Hakka

"...Oh, Doji-san, it's you." She looks at the plushie, then back to the Crane, and then back to the plushie before setting him carefully on the arm of the couch
"He was supposed to be on watch, but we've all had a long day. I hope I wasn't disturbing you, I'm told I snore but have never been able to confirm it."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:42 am 
"I only heard loud, enthusiastic breathing, Ikoma-san, while you were resting your eyes." Hakka's eyes flicker to the bucket next to Shoan, but return just as quick to the other's face. "And, no, you were not disturbing me; I wished to do some light reading and listen to music and did not want to disturb my roommates with the light from the densai. The common room seemed the place to do such a thing."

It seems that you also had the same idea." She makes a vague gesture towards the densai on Shoan's lap as she moves to sit in a chair at an angle from the couch that the other woman is in.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:47 am 
Doji Hakka wrote:
"I only heard loud, enthusiastic breathing, Ikoma-san, while you were resting your eyes." Hakka's eyes flicker to the bucket next to Shoan, but return just as quick to the other's face. "And, no, you were not disturbing me; I wished to do some light reading and listen to music and did not want to disturb my roommates with the light from the densai. The common room seemed the place to do such a thing."

It seems that you also had the same idea." She makes a vague gesture towards the densai on Shoan's lap as she moves to sit in a chair at an angle from the couch that the other woman is in.

Oh no, I hope I don't sound loud and enthusiastic when I sleep

"Uh, as you say."
Seeing Hakka look at the bucket
"Just a precaution, I...had an eventful experience experimenting with Ikebana."
She angles her densai so the Crane could see an article on the 'Dos and Donts of poisonous mushrooms'
"I hope your reading is less...practical."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:02 am 
Hakka's expression turns to one of concern. "I'm sure the information that you were given was simply bad intel, Ikoma-san, and nothing that you did." She had heard that one of the contestants had ate a mushroom, but surely it hadn't been Shoan.

With a few taps she brings her densai online and opens what it was that she was going to read, turning the screen to share. "As a gift, my brother Yoshiaki, arranged for me to receive a subscription of Firearms & Charges. I did not get a chance to peruse this month's release and thought it would be a nice way to spend a late evening."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:12 am 
Doji Hakka wrote:
Hakka's expression turns to one of concern. "I'm sure the information that you were given was simply bad intel, Ikoma-san, and nothing that you did." She had heard that one of the contestants had ate a mushroom, but surely it hadn't been Shoan.

With a few taps she brings her densai online and opens what it was that she was going to read, turning the screen to share. "As a gift, my brother Yoshiaki, arranged for me to receive a subscription of Firearms & Charges. I did not get a chance to peruse this month's release and thought it would be a nice way to spend a late evening."

Sitting upright
"Oh you have this month's copy?!?! I'm so behind, I missed the flamecaster edition on deployment and I never even got to see the full page special on fragmentation ordinance."
Wait
"...You have a subscription to Fireams & Charges?" Friendly Crane courtier lady

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:41 am 
A slight furrow appears in her brow as Hakka looks at Shoan. "Yes, as I said, Ikoma-san, my brother gave it as a gift."

She sets the densai on her lap, screen facing down. "I enjoy shooting; targets mostly but I have hunted a variety of game." The furrow smooths out and the placid mask of a Crane Courtier comes forth as Hakka waits to see where this goes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:46 am 
Doji Hakka wrote:
A slight furrow appears in her brow as Hakka looks at Shoan. "Yes, as I said, Ikoma-san, my brother gave it as a gift."

She sets the densai on her lap, screen facing down. "I enjoy shooting; targets mostly but I have hunted a variety of game." The furrow smooths out and the placid mask of a Crane Courtier comes forth as Hakka waits to see where this goes.

"Oh, I did not mean to imply that you shouldn't have one, or that it wasn't appropriate. I was just...surprised by the number of your talents Doji-san. I shall have to redouble my efforts or find myself out talked, out gamed and out shot all by the same samurai."

Shoan shoots a hopefully look at the Doji's device but seems to resign herself
"Please don't let me distract you, I can probably acquire another subscription once I am off planet."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:56 am 
Hakka flips the device over and once more taps on the screen a few times. Her expression is hidden as she looks down at it, but after a moment she returns her attention to Shoan and her expression is once more its usual friendly demeanor. "Would Ikoma-san wish to look through this as well? I can only access the past six months, those are the ones archived, but, if they are any that you have missed..."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:10 am 
Doji Hakka wrote:
Hakka flips the device over and once more taps on the screen a few times. Her expression is hidden as she looks down at it, but after a moment she returns her attention to Shoan and her expression is once more its usual friendly demeanor. "Would Ikoma-san wish to look through this as well? I can only access the past six months, those are the ones archived, but, if they are any that you have missed..."

"I....would very much enjoy the opportunity. Although uh, may I join you? I would not want to crowd you on the couch Doji-san."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:24 am 
"Perhaps your adorable guard," she makes a nodding gesture at the small lion plush, "could keep watch from between us then, if you are worried? This one is not, if it must be said." A playful smirk appeared and she didn't go so far as to pat the cushion next to her, as that would be too forward and rather untoward, but there was an expectant air.

"This month is said to have a rather in-depth look at recent advances in standard rifle barreling and I'm intrigued to see what changes they are suggesting." She pauses. "Not to mention a full page spread dedicated to the interior workings."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:29 am 
Doji Hakka wrote:
"Perhaps your adorable guard," she makes a nodding gesture at the small lion plush, "could keep watch from between us then, if you are worried? This one is not, if it must be said." A playful smirk appeared and she didn't go so far as to pat the cushion next to her, as that would be too forward and rather untoward, but there was an expectant air.

"This month is said to have a rather in-depth look at recent advances in standard rifle barreling and I'm intrigued to see what changes they are suggesting." She pauses. "Not to mention a full page spread dedicated to the interior workings."

"A full page?" swallowing "One of their centerfolds?"
Their diagrams were always top of the line...and so innovative

"That is very relevant to my duties, I feel as though I am almost required to examine them."
Carefully picking up the plush the lion pads over next to Hakka and carefully puts him down next to the Crane before lowering herself down on the other side. There, there really is only so much room on a couch with a Shoan occupying it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:14 am 
Hakka raises a hand and covers her mouth, but there was no hiding the way that her eyes crinkled at the corners in amusement. "Does your companion have a name? It's only proper to introduce us, Ikoma-san."

She moves the densai so it's easily seen by the two of them. "My preferred method of perusing the magazine is to first do a cursory skim through, though I may spend some time on the more detailed pictures, before I move onto the articles that I want to look at more in-depth. This one is however, if Ikoma-san has a different method, would be willing to try a different method."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:21 am 
Doji Hakka wrote:
Hakka raises a hand and covers her mouth, but there was no hiding the way that her eyes crinkled at the corners in amusement. "Does your companion have a name? It's only proper to introduce us, Ikoma-san."

She moves the densai so it's easily seen by the two of them. "My preferred method of perusing the magazine is to first do a cursory skim through, though I may spend some time on the more detailed pictures, before I move onto the articles that I want to look at more in-depth. This one is however, if Ikoma-san has a different method, would be willing to try a different method."

"Oh, I am sorry Doji-san, this is uh, Kabu-san, my family gave him to me when I left for the dojo as a child, for protection. He is a good lion."
Kabu doesn't comment, but he does 'look' like a good lion

"I will defer to your expertise Doji-san."
A little concerned Hakka might be a faster reader
"Do you mind if I turn the pages? It is the least I can do"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:05 am 
"Of course." A few taps and Hakka had the page turning button set closest to Shoan. "I must confess that I spend the most time on the regular rifles, not so much on the sidearms or the larger cannon types. How about Ikoma-san?"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:10 am 
Doji Hakka wrote:
"Of course." A few taps and Hakka had the page turning button set closest to Shoan. "I must confess that I spend the most time on the regular rifles, not so much on the sidearms or the larger cannon types. How about Ikoma-san?"

"I prefer my sidearm Doji-san. There is something about the sheer solidness of the older models, it is a comforting weight."

She leans forward and taps the page a few times until it registers her touch, bringing up an article on silencers, 'Practical or Prejudiced?'

"A good rifle is a comforting weapon in the extreme, I just cannot always have it with me."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:27 am 
"It is with the rifle that I learned to shoot, so perhaps that is why I find myself drawn to them more." She raises an eyebrow at the author of said article, a well known Bayushi actor, but doesn't make comment.

"Oh, the inset on this article has a very interesting take on what a more diversified silencer could look like."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:32 am 
Doji Hakka wrote:
"It is with the rifle that I learned to shoot, so perhaps that is why I find myself drawn to them more." She raises an eyebrow at the author of said article, a well known Bayushi actor, but doesn't make comment.

"Oh, the inset on this article has a very interesting take on what a more diversified silencer could look like."

"There are a practical weapon, good for every occasion, sometimes size matters."
Shoan peers forward, turning her head to examine the inset

"Ah, leave it to the Scorpion to put together something like that, one can only imagine what they plan to do with it......although the design is very elegant."
She rubs her chin for a moment
"No....still not an appropriate modification."
She looks to Hakka to check it's okay to change the page.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:12 am 
Hakka nods at Shoan, in reply to the unvoiced question, before she turns her head to the side, squinting at the picture before it disappears. "I'm not sure elegant is a word I'd associate with this, but, it would get its job done." She gives a delicate sniff of distaste."

The next page seemed to be a series of advertisements.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next