It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:05 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: [EA6] - Explorations [Expecting]
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:49 am 
Ryuu turned slightly pink as she corrected, then nodded at her assessment. "They do say absence makes the heart grow fonder." A slight smile at that, as he watched Ten chase off the other creature.

"You mentioned a twin. Any other siblings?"

Carries: Daisho, Sidearm, Uniform with the Daigotsu Mon, rank in Silver with black outline, Jade cufflinks, Communicator, Densai
Danger: Rifle, Light Armor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:45 am 
"Not yet," she smiled, "our parents tried for a long time for a child, then Hoshi-chan and I arrived together. The Fortunes have not seen fit to bless our family again, though not for a lack of trying," she shrugged one shoulder. Ten, apparently satisfied that he had successfully defended the land, trotted back to Hana's side.

GEAR: Sidearm, Webgun, Wakizashi, Water Bottle, Sundries.
Accompanied by Ten, a shiba inu.

She floats so soft inside his web...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:35 am 
Ryuu listened intently, his focus entirely on her, as Kinyobi kept pace with Hana. "They may still be blessed. My sister and I are only a few years apart, but our younger brother just turned five not too long ago." His gaze focused down the road, thinking for a moment.

"What was your home life like? I would like to get to know you further, Mariko-san."

Carries: Daisho, Sidearm, Uniform with the Daigotsu Mon, rank in Silver with black outline, Jade cufflinks, Communicator, Densai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:27 am 
Moriko made a thoughtful sound, considering the question. “Well, as you know, I grew up on Futago Ranch. Mother and Father are in charge of managing the farm, the responsibilities divided between them. Father deals in the more physical aspects of things: managing the other workers, ensuring things are done correctly and in a timely fashion. He used to say to me all the time Mori-chan, you lack discipline! how do you expect to succeed in life?” The young Phoenix chuckled and shrugged one shoulder again, “I think I do okay.” Her performance in the miai since day three belied that statement, but she perhaps hadn’t realised that. “Mother handles the administrative side of things: breeding records, finances, that sort of thing.”

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:55 pm 
Ryuu was many things. A good listener was chief amongst them. He remained attentive, his smile pleasant. He found it a good starting point. "A bold question, but I will ask it." He hesitated, then screwed up his courage.

"What would your parents think if you ended up with a Spider?"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:55 pm 
Moriko sought the young man’s eyes, smiling warmly, “my parents breed otori, they are rather practical about such things.” She took a moment to gather her thoughts, “my parents are both locals. They were born here, they never had any reason to go elsewhere, they will likely die here. It’s not a bad fate,” Moriko shrugged a little, “they were married by a promise made between my grandmothers, when father was just a boy, but they are happy together.”

“My parents only want me to be happy. Look at this place,” the Phoenix waved towards the strange wilds, beaten and burned back to make room for the farms, untamed and deadly, “we are no strangers to the strange. Unfavourable reputation precedes your Clan, Ryuu-san, but there is worth and beauty to be found in all things.” She had spoken with earnest passion, but a lighter tone emerged “besides, of all the eight-limbed things* I’ve encountered, you are the one that least invites squishing.”

——
* Please see the White Death entry from this post.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:25 pm 
He chuckled, genuinely amused. "High praise. I will strive to continue uninviting being squished, Moriko-san." Ryuu beamed as her gaze met his, then a slight moment.

"Growing up, I was raised to venerate all of the Fortunes." Emphasis placed on the all. "What... are your thoughts on that." There was a sense of honest exposure in the question. Especially considering the spiritual bent of the Phoenix.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:36 pm 
Moriko admired the Spider’s dogged persistence in questioning her, it seemed he was determined to take an active role in the choosing process and she appreciated it; Fortunes knew that she could stand to be a little more proactive herself. Speaking of Fortunes... “I admit I’m not a deeply spiritual person, that was always Hoshi-chan’s wheelhouse. In fact, I sought some guidance on the matter just recently,” in fact, in fact, she was heading back to the Shrine that very night. “The advice I was given was to be open of heart and mind, to be accepting,” after all, the Dark Fortunes weren’t all that different from land-cephalopods, right? Kinda gross, but still part of the whole?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:33 pm 
"Commendable. Of course, I know what is appropriate and when. My spouse would not need to worry about others seeing altars to what some may find... distasteful."

Or downright illegal. Only the Spider clan was allowed to venerate Lord Daigotsu. Would he have to give that up, if he married out? The thought had come across his mind many times.

"I do not think you not being deeply spiritual would cause any issue. I am, but certainly not proselytizing, or beating the drum in the street. It is a personal, intimate thing, to me. Not something I would want forced or to force upon someone. I am not cruel."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:15 pm 
Moriko's head tilted slowly. Yes, she could see how one might mistake him for cruel, especially when he smiled. "I am not of a mind to interfere with other's worship. Unless it harms another, I believe that one should live and let live."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:30 pm 
His crept along his face. It was sincere, and warm. But it never came across as such. There was just... wrongness. He turned away, recovering his On.

There was always a part of him that worried. That whoever his spouse, they would always instinctually recoil from him. Likely why he strove so hard to prove, he would be a good match.

"I am glad to hear that." He nodded, his face much more hard line and stoic. "Moriko-san." Ryuu's eyes were intense as they focused on her face. "I am not well landed, or bring with me much resources, or anything of tangible value to a match. Likely incidental negotiations for trade between my homeworld and this one. Asakaze would gain a low level doshin, though I would show the effort to earn my place as a Yoriki or even junior magistrate early." Ryuu sighed.

"The only thing I know I can directly offer is being loyal and dutiful. And... a desire to build something, and find joy with my spouse. I just... wanted to be honest, as you assess your potentials."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:07 pm 
Embarrassed, Moriko held Ryuu's gaze, falteringly, "my Clan is more concerned with the qualities a potential spouse can bring, than their wealth or position." At least, that had been Moriko's understanding of the situation. Breaking his gaze, she looked around at the farms and the wilds, acutely and uncomfortably aware of how little she had to offer her future spouse, what little she could offer the sophisticated half-Crane riding alongside her.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:38 am 
"I suppose then, that being a loyal and dutiful Samurai, who can be used as a blunt instrument went needed, would be what I best offer." He did not wish for her to feel embarrassed or to be worried.

"I do not wish to presume your thoughts or the thoughts of others. My chances at having some control of fate are gone. All I will say, is that whoever decides that I am worthy to join them, I would give my all to them."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:49 am 
Faking a smile, "you and I both, Ryuu-san," Moriko nodded. "I only hope your future spouse makes you as happy as you will make them." It had been a pleasant thought to entertain, if a foolish one. The Spider was an unusual man, to be certain, but unusual had never bothered the girl.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:59 pm 
At her comment, his smile reappeared, as did the pink in his cheeks, and his eyes caught the afternoon light as they rode.

"Thank you, Moriko-san. If... I could be so bold..." he paused, giving the thought space to breathe, "... I would want you to find happiness, and joy. If I played a part in that... that would be very good." Again that ever present aura causing his words to fumble bluntly. But the sincerity was there.

He had not come to Asakaze expecting so much.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:11 pm 
She smiled, and it seemed to her that maybe he wasn't so stern and imposing. Perhaps the Crane blood had tempered him somehow, his eyes certainly were enchanting. In her usual thoughtless way, she blurted out her feelings without much consideration, "it would be an honour to bring you happiness, Ryuu-san."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:17 pm 
His posture lifted, his shoulders went back. Ryuu seemed infinitely more comfortable in her presence, even as his face went red, the smile widened ear to ear.

"I... thank you. I do not think you would find that difficult."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:36 pm 
Content, Moriko let the sounds around them take over; the sound of the otori's footfalls, birds calling and insects chittering in the forest. The still air was heavy and unique stench of the fungal forest was everywhere, but the young Phoenix was happy for a fleeting moment. "Ryuu-san, it would be unwise for me to get my hopes up," her over-active brain taking a sharp turn, "before I go ahead and communicate such preferences to the nakado, I should like to know if there are other prospects you are considering."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:16 pm 
"I have been honest with you since we met. I will always do so... there are two Crane maidens with whom I have spent a significant amount of time with since this has all begun." This was duty, to get to know as many as one could but... what was this feeling? Why did his stomach turn as he mentioned it?

Ryuu looked down for a moment, his expression showing concern at the moment. Relying on Kinyobi to keep the path steady.

"I do not believe it will be me doing the choosing and recommending. So I cannot say what the future may hold. I have not impressed any of the judges, and so my standings remain at the bottom." His lips pursed, then his On broke. There was a sudden swell of sadness.

"I... would understand if that knowledge meant you would prefer to not spend as much time together. But I cannot and will not obscure the truth from you, Moriko-san."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:29 pm 
Moriko smiled, she was vaguely aware that the judges had not looked favourable on the Spider, "if anything, I would like to spend more time with you, Ryuu-san. I want to know what would make you happy." With a self-effacing chuckle, "strangely, I would like to do what I can to see you happy, if that means expressing my interests... elsewhere," the Phoenix glanced away, uncertain, shaking her head slightly as if to clear the cobwebs. "We are given little power to choose our fates, I would like to assure that what influence I might exert does the most good."

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next